What are the standard poster sizes?
Hey there, poster lovers! Are you ready to create a show-stopping poster that’ll make heads turn? Then listen up! When making a poster for your event or advertising campaign, choosing the right size is key. Don’t worry if you’re feeling a little overwhelmed, though.
In this article, we’ve got your back! We’ll be exploring the most popular poster sizes out there, their dimensions, and most importantly, how to decide the perfect size for your project. So let’s dive in and make your poster dreams a reality!
How to choose the perfect poster
Posters are an essential element of visual communication and a popular choice for advertising, promotions, and event announcements. They have long been an integral part of the advertising and design world, with widespread use due to their versatility and effectiveness in getting a message across to audiences.
Picking the right poster size can make or break your business’s success. The larger a poster is, the easier it’ll be for viewers to see and understand its message – which means more potential customers will get what you’re trying to say! At the end of the day, picking out a suitable size helps maximize how effectively your target audience receives your marketing efforts. It’s time to discover which are the most popular poster sizes!
Small posters – 11″ x 17″
Measuring 11″ x 17″, small posters are perfect for reaching a targeted audience or when space is limited. They’re commonly used to promote local events, showcases, retail store promotions, or club events. Their compact size makes them ideal for placement on community boards, light poles, or smaller retail spaces, allowing you to get your message in front of your audience no matter where they are.
Medium posters – 18″ x 24″
Medium-sized posters measuring 18″ x 24″ are a flexible choice that can be employed in a variety of settings! This dimension is ideal for both indoor and outdoor use and is commonly found in art exhibitions, product advertising, and upcoming events. These posters are sizable enough to capture people’s attention but still easy to handle, allowing for swift installation and removal.
Retail posters – 22″ x 34″
Revamp your marketing strategy with retail posters! Crafted with commercial spaces in mind, these posters are tailored for use in malls, department stores, and large retail shops to showcase merchandise, sales, and special promotions. Measuring 22″ x 34″, they boast a sizeable canvas to grab shoppers’ attention and can be positioned in multiple locations, including walls and storefront windows, for maximum exposure.
Large posters – 24″ x 36″
Large posters with dimensions of 24″ x 36″ make a strong visual impact and provide a considerable amount of space for text and images. These poster sizes are regularly used for conference presentations, large-scale events, or advertisements placed in high-traffic areas. Large posters serve as an excellent choice when you want to command attention and make a lasting impression!
Movie posters – 27″ x 40″
Capture the magic of the movies with the iconic 27″ x 40″ movie posters! Specifically designed for promoting films, theater productions, and other entertainment events, these posters are a must-have for cinema lobbies, theater halls, or any entertainment venue. With their recognizable size and iconic design, movie posters are a powerful marketing tool that can instantly elevate the appeal of your event!
“A type” poster sizes
If you’re looking for poster sizes that offer consistency and scalability, the A-series poster sizes are your go-to choice! These sizes follow the ISO 216 paper size system, with proportions based on the square root of two. This ensures that the aspect ratio remains consistent when you scale up or down. The A-series includes popular poster sizes such as A0, A1, A2, A3, and A4. Here’s a quick guide to each size, their dimensions, and suggested uses:
- A0: The largest of the standard poster sizes, A0 is ideal for conference presentations, exhibition displays, and large-scale advertising campaigns. Due to its size, it has an excellent visibility range and can accommodate complex graphics and detailed information.
841 x 1189 mm | 33.1 x 46.8in | 9933 x 14043 px
- A1: A suitable choice for medium-sized advertisements, public service announcements, and retail promotions, the A1 poster size is large enough to grab attention and can effectively present an adequate amount of content while not overwhelming your viewers.
594 x 841 mm | 23.4 x 33.1in | 7016 x 9933 px
- A2: A popular measure for advertising smaller events such as concerts, workshops, or special promotions, the A2 size can comfortably display essential details while fitting in limited spaces like shop windows or community bulletin boards.
420 x 594 mm | 16.5 x 23.4in | 4961 x 7016 px
- A3: With dimensions slightly larger than the widely-used A4 paper size, A3 posters are versatile enough for various purposes, including educational materials and workplace notices.
297 x 420 mm | 11.7 x 16.5in | 3508 x 4961 px
- A4: Although not a dedicated poster size, the A4 paper is a ubiquitous choice for small-scale advertising and informational materials such as flyers, brochures, and price lists. Its compact dimensions make it practical for handing out, photocopying, and close-up viewing.
210 x 297 mm | 8.3 x 11.7in | 2480 x 3508 px
Quick sizes summary
|Poster type||Euro size (millimeters)||U.S. size (inches)||Pixels|
|A0||841 x 1189 mm||33.1 x 46.8in||9933 x 14043 px|
|A1||594 x 841 mm||23.4 x 33.1in||7016 x 9933 px|
|A2||420 x 594 mm||16.5 x 23.4in||4961 x 7016 px|
|A3||297 x 420 mm||11.7 x 16.5in||3508 x 4961 px|
|A4||210 x 297 mm||8.3 x 11.7in||2480 x 3508 px|
5 poster printing tips
While printing posters can be fairly easy, there are some things to consider to ensure the best results possible! Here are five top tips for poster printing:
- Choose the right paper stock. The thickness of the paper determines the quality of your print, so make sure you select one that’s suited to what you’re looking for
- Include bleed and safe zone. Provide extra space (known as a bleed) when designing the margins of your poster to prevent crucial design elements from being cut off during printing. Additionally, include a ‘safe zone’ within the design free from key text or graphics to ensure they don’t get lost in the trimming process.
- Consider color. When it comes to color accuracy, it’s essential to use RGB (Red-Green-Blue) as opposed to CMYK (Cyan-Magenta-Yellow-Black) mode when setting up files for printing – this will ensure much more vibrant colors than if printed in CMYK mode.
- Select the proper resolution. Images displayed on computer monitors look sharp because they tend to have 72 dpi (dots per inch), while printers require 300 dpi at minimum for good results — otherwise, your image will look blurry or pixelated when printed out!
- Proofread & preview before sending. Before sending your file off for printing, double-check all spelling and details within your design and run a test print if possible — this way you can prevent any costly mistakes from slipping through!
Now that you know all about the different poster sizes and their ideal uses, it’s time to get creative and start designing your own! With the help of Wepik’s poster templates, you can easily create stunning posters that will make an impact and get your message across. Whether promoting a business, an event or simply looking to add some style to your living space, the possibilities are endless!
Comments on What are the standard poster sizes?